First of all, gout is the crystallization of uric acid at the joints. The uric acid is the waste product of PURINE which is one of the amino acids. Some people have difficulty in excreting the excess uric acid and this will result in accumulation and crystallization of uric acid at the joints.
So... what are the sources of purine? The followings are the sources of purines:
High purine content food:
- Internal organ meat such as liver, heart, brain etc
- Minced meat
Medium purine content of food:
- All beans and seeds (termasuklah jering & petai... tau)
Low purine content of food:
- Ice cream
- To reduce or avoid food which has high content of purine.
- To take food which has moderate amount of purine in moderation.
- To increase water intake 2-3 liter per day. This is because uric acid can only be excreted out from the body through urine. So, drink plenty of water.
Last but not least, uric acid can cause stone in the kidney (batu karang). To avoid this, drink plenty of water especially plain water.
*Note: Different people has different ways of controlling the symptoms. Any questions?